[PD] question regarding -rt flag and Gem lib

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Fri Jun 10 13:46:59 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Now that I've got most of the stuff up-and-running on my fresh Ubuntu
install, I've noticed a peculiar behavior:

1) When I start pd *without* -rt flag and with -lib Gem, when using Gem
everything is ok in terms of 3D visualization and performance

2) However, when I start pd *with* -rt flag and with -lib Gem, when using
Gem every time I try to move a window (Gem-created or the Pd canvas), every
1-2 seconds, the whole X freezes (including mouse) and pd-watchdog kicks in
after which the X-unfreezes and I can more window some more until it freezes
again for a couple of seconds. Once I release the window, the Gem performs
normally. Clicking on the pd or Gem window canvas does not cause any
problems (although I did not check with examples that use mouse to move
objects inside Gem window). Any ideas why this is happening?

3) Also, while I am asking away, I noticed that when starting pd -rt -jack
-lib <anylib> I get connected to jack for a split second and then bumped off
after which I need to kill-off pd. Now, if I start with pd with oss with -rt
and -lib <anylib> and then select jack in the Media menu, it connects to
jack and is all happy. Any ideas how I can make jack more tolerant without
bouncing pd?

System specs:

Laptop m6805 (athlon64 3000+)
Ubuntu hoary 5.04 (32-bit)
Ati 9600 mobility with latest fglrx 8.14.3 drivers from ATI (tried the same
thing with older drivers 8.12 and 8.8 and it behaved the same)
Xorg 6.8.2 (no composite nor any other cpu-hogging stuff)
I am using pd 38.4-2 from source, Gem 0.90 from source, externs from source,
Alsa 1.0.9b from source, and Jack 0.99 from source.
Kernel 2.6.10 (vanilla Ubuntu + realtime_lsm module + capabilities)

Running without sound behaves the same so Alsa/jack should not be an issue
for the first 2 points.

I would greatly appreciate your help in these matters. Many thanks!

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/