[PD] convert symbol to int

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jun 12 00:58:26 CEST 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, federico wrote:
> is possible to convert a symbol to int?
> i have a number into a symbol, and:
> [symbol (5442)]
> but when i bang the symbol object pd says:
> error: Bad arguments for message 'set' to object 'nbx'
> is there a specific object to do this?

pd -lib gridflow

and put this external in your ~/.gridflow_startup :

GridFlow::FObject.subclass("atof",1,1) {
   def _0_symbol s
     m = /[-+0-9\.eE]+/ .match s.to_s
     send_out 0, Float(m[1])
   end
}

This is a [atof] external which will extract the first numeric string in a
symbol message and output the corresponding float.

note: I didn't test the above code, so if someone tells me it doesn't
work, I'll correct the typos. (my computer just blew up so I don't have
access to PureData at the moment)

,-o--------o--------o--------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
`-o------------o-------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |