[PD] [half OT] laptop processors for rt sound (32/64)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 14 23:28:33 CEST 2005

Hallo,
julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net hat gesagt: // julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net wrote:

> ok, so I was wrong and the AMD equivalent to the pentium M is the
> Turion, but it's a 64 bit processor, and it looks wiser to setup a
> 32 bit system currently, especially because I will use it with both
> linux and windows for audio.

I might add, that running AMD64 processors at 32bit is still very
fast. Somehow Semprons are (kind of) AMD64 processors without the
64Bit part (and without Cool'n'Quiet), and AMD took quite some effort
to optimize 32bit performance, if alone because Windows64 still has
some way to go. I still run my new A64 3000+ in 32bit mode, because I
didn't have time to make the switch, and actually I don't really see
the need to have it running with 64bit and be the coolest kid on the
block immediatly.

Nevertheless for a laptop I would not buy a AMD processor but some
Centrino system, which has much lower power consumption while still
performing very well. Also the newer Intel GMA graphics chipset seems
to perform very well and they even come with Open Source 3D drivers. I
don't think, there are any AMD laptops with free (as in software) 3D
drivers.

(I think, these Samsung X20 notebooks look mighty attractive.)

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41