[PD] [hid] users poll

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 15 23:03:30 CEST 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 1:23 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So now that there are some people using [hid], I want to ask a
>> question about how its working for people, specifically about the use
>> of symbols rather than integers for the event naming scheme (i.e.
>> "abs" vs. "2"; "rel_rx" vs. "5", etc.).  It definitely takes more CPU
>> power to use symbols, so I have two questions:
>> Do you notice the extra CPU load from [hid]?
>> Do you find the symbolic names useful, versus numbers?
>
> I think that as long as integers still can be used, there is no
> problem with supporting symbols. I mean I've seen cases where the
> enforcing of symbols means having to use [sprintf] all over the place
> in a less-than-elegant way.

Integers/floats are not supported in [hid] because that would defeat
one of the main purposes that inspired me to write it: to have a clean,
straightforward API.  For example, you probably won't need to use a
lookup table to understand [route abs_x abs_y abs_throttle] but most
people would need it for [route 1 3 14].  I can't think of anytime
where you'd need to use [sprintf] with [hid] data, but please try out
strange, unorthodox configurations and let me know if the symbol scheme
causes problems.  Its an experiment, every HID API I have seen uses
integers, but  almost all are aimed at people who think in terms of
struct, io_service_t, ioctl, etc.

I am planning on writing [darwinhid], [windowshid], and [linuxhid],
which will output the data straight from the OS, i.e. integers. Those
objects are for getting data from very esoteric devices, but I would
discourage using them for anything but the situations where [hid] would
not work.

> Comparing symbols is fast. [route foo bar baz] is just as fast as
> [route 55 242 666]. This is because gensym() ensures that if two
> symbols refer to the same text then they necessarily have the same
> pointer value. This is a standard: LISP/Smalltalk/Ruby/etc all do it
> the same.
>
> Actually comparing symbols is much faster than comparing floats, if
> you run Pd on a 386 or on a PDA.

That good to know. I was thinking strcmp() versus ==. That makes me
very happy.  So comparing symbols in Pd is basically a == operation
using the pointer integers, right?  I was thinking I needed to keep
these symbols as short as possible for efficiency's sake.  Now I can
happily eliminate the unixy abbrvs:

   		syn = sync
		snd = sound
		msc = misc
		rep = repeat
		pwr = power

These would probably be too long tho:

		abs = absolute
		rel = relative
		btn = button
		ff = force_feedback

If you ever feel like checking out my [hid] code, matju, I'd love
advice on optimization.  Since it can run up to once every 1ms,
optimization is key.

.hc

> Comparing strings would be slower but Pd doesn't have strings.
>

> (I haven't used [hid] yet though.)
>
> ,-o--------o--------o--------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
> | The Diagram is the Program tm| | ,-o-------------o--------------o-.
> `-o------------o-------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |