[PD] text UI for PD ?

cutterlonia cutterlonia at gmx.net
Thu Jun 16 13:00:31 CEST 2005

On Do, 2005-06-16 at 11:42 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> > You can load/make PD-Patches with python (xmlrpc) and drive pd with
> > -nogui or you use pdsend in a shell. But I think really building patches
> > without the PD GUI will be a little bit hard ...
>
> well, i think mart is not talking about a pd without a gui but about a
> pd with a simpler (text) ui, which would nevertheless allow patching.
>
> i think the answer is unfortunately "no", there is no such thing (except
> if you can do patching with a text-editor, but this again is no pd "gui")

hello,

...yes: what would be handy to have is a realtime interface where i can
patch connection between objects (i think creating objects in a text
environment may not be too complicated...)
...and have some meters and slides (like alsamixer)

but I think it will be also ok to develop the patch on a fast machine,
send it over to the XBOX or whatever low-performance host
start pd with no-gui and have an external interface (which i will have
to write first, probably) which communicates with PD in some way (pd
send , OSC)
maybe i can rip code from alsamixer and make it send out values via
pdsend...

or is it possible to have the pd-server running on one machine (without
gui) and control it from antoher with the pd GUI?

thanks
mart