[PD] Chromium and Gem integration Q.

Mike Wozniewski mike at ozmediasolutions.com
Mon Jun 20 21:57:49 CEST 2005

Well, as long as you have a fixed configuration during runtime, then yes
chromium is transparent to the application. But, for cave-like setups
that have head tracking and use off-axis projection to adjust the
viewing frustums, you will need to put some chromium calls in the
application. For example, see:
http://chromium.sourceforge.net/doc/nonplanar.html

BTW, what kind of system are you guys building?

It sounds quite similar to our work. We (at McGill / SAT) are building a
similar interactive/distributed rendering environment using Pd. We
started last year with the Pd/Gem combination, but as we started to get
more elaborate with our rendering engine, we looked to chromium to help
with distribution over the network. It was a viable alternative, but in
the end we decided to use a combination of Pd & OpenSceneGraph, and
write our own world-coherence engine using a Pd-message based system and
[netsend]. It works quite nicely. Much more flexibility in terms of
rendering quality and graphical extensions than Gem, and you can
maintain higher level control with the slave renderers. ie, the
renderers still have knowledge of the world, and not just streamed
openGL commands. This is essential is you want to do extra processing
down the line (eg. shadow detection/removal, multi-projector blending, etc).

Cheers,
-Mike