[PD] recommended video codec

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Thu Jun 23 07:00:32 CEST 2005

B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey Etienne,
>
> Just to chime in, I don't know the solution to your problem, but I've
> not heard of people using PDP at such a high-resolution.

.... other than the video decoding, it seems to perform very well.

> Anyhow what comes out of your comments here is the fact that there is a
> size/decoding speed trade-off. I think your seeing the best options and
> I'd suggest going with the bigger files...

ya, ya, .... I've got two 5 gig scsi disks (RAID 0) running off a PCMCIA
scsi card off a laptop ... so disk access speed is fine.

In the past (in jmax) I had a similar setup, reading raw component video
(same frame size/rate).... with about 5% cpu. Big files, low
compression, fast.

> Tried the same tests with Gem? Any difference?

same kind of results for Gem.

although I encoded one video using mencoder .... forced ffmpeg mjpg as
the codec. Mplayer plays it back with really low cpu (4% or something).
Mplayer reports that it is using ffmpeg as the decoder.

when I try to open that same file in pix_film ... I get a message
"ffmpeg: unsurported codec" .......wot? so pix_film is using a different
version of ffmpeg? so I downloaded the latest ffmpeg and compiled it. No
difference, pix_film still cant read it.

I got Gem from the demudi apt tree ..... does Gem come with its own
version of ffmpeg statically linked inside it or something?

when people say that mjpeg is fast are they talking about avi ones or
mov ones? ..... because xmovie decodes the libquicktime encoded mjpa
files at the same speed as pd_qt

..............its all so god damn confusing.

Etienne