[PD] external for reading files from directories?

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Fri Jun 24 12:05:51 CEST 2005

B. Bogart wrote:
> I replaced my implimentation of the same thing with python because TOT
> was truncating tcl commands and killing PD gui commands. Mr Czaja said
> that TOT should not be used for scripting! I heed this advice. Do not
> use TOT for listing files, you'll eventually regret it.

right, the reason is that tot uses the regular pd/pd-gui
connection, which is not robust, with or without tot.  However,
even with a dedicated connection established, tot still would be
a poor scripting tool.  It was designed for doing weird things
with pd-gui, and it would better stay as such.

In a proper scripting tool, the main thread of an interpreter
should run in the main thread of the pd process.  For tcl
scripting, there is the plustot library in cvs, which accepts
things like [+tot -dir $in glob *.pd] -> [+tot +out] (still work
in progress, though...)

btw, Ben, how do you pronounce mr czaja?