[PD] [hid] users poll

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jun 25 02:38:39 CEST 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> how do you justify GridFlow being an "abnormal" use ? what makes you
> sure that others do not use pd in even more abnormal, bizarre and
> pervert ways ?

Just abnormal relatively to Hans' expectations about normal uses. I didn't
claim any exclusivity in the iconoclastic-abnormal-idiosyncrasy
department. In fact, I can see that a lot of artists with ambition want
abnormal things, and I already have been offered (a few days ago) to work
on a project involving many more axes than the seven that we have at
Videographe (e.g. possibly 20 or 40 or 64).

> the 8th axis. computers will have a hard time with "axis8" while "button
> 1" is far simpler to parse for them.

I'd rather say it like this: it's easy for the computer to parse "axis8"
but it may be hard for users to instruct the computer how to do it...
especially if they don't have access to regexp-matching capabilities (I
really should add that one as a standard GridFlow object...)

> matju: please ignore or correct my blasphemies on set theory.

You didn't make any statements about set theory. I don't think that in
itself this fact constitutes a blasphemy. :-)

> with the advent of hid, the focus has been shifted towards the humans. i
> do not think that this justifies the ignorance of computer needs.

Computers don't need much. It's all about the users. As the users want
more and more power, they are more and more like programmers. That is,
programmers are merely power-power-power-users. A lot of that power is
generated by automatability of tasks. The more easily and succinctly you
can instruct the computer to perform a task on its own, the more power you
have.

,-o--------o--------o--------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
`-o------------o-------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |