[PD] bang of loadbang

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 27 11:29:15 CEST 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>

>>>Ah, yes, interestingly the loadbang is not carried through to the
>>>outside world. I don't know if this is desireable or not. Anyways you
>>
>>this has been discussed many times on the list (just search the archives
>>for loadbang and dynamic patching (yes, creating or renaming an object
>>can be considered as dynamic patching) and i still think that this is
>>not a bug (though not a feature either)
>

> I don't think, this particular problem was discussed many times, if at
> all. The loadbang is done just fine inside the abstraction, if you
> change arguments, however it does not pass through to the outlet.
> With dynamic patches, you don't get a loadbang at
> all, not inside and not outside the abstraction. This is a different
> issue, as there's just no loadbang generated, whereas in the first
> case, there is a bang, but its progression is stopped at the outlet.

this is really interesting. i didn't know that and i thought the 2 cases
would behave exactly the same (i obviously haven't made any tests to
prove it)
the problem with dynamic patching is that the outlets are not yet
defined so a loadbang distributed to them would go into the void (ok,
_this_ has been discussed); but there would be no problems just for
internal initialization, so it could (should?) behave exactly like jmmmp
described their problem.

>>so [loadbang] bangs at patch loading time (as opposed to patch creating
>>time).
>

> Well, not if you create abstractions manually, which will send a
> lodbang and it damn sure should do so. ;)

either it behaves the _same_ as dynamic patching or it doesn't stop halfway.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes