[PD] sample player anyone?]

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 19:17:47 CEST 2005

hi

thanks for the reply to all. I know all those methods you mention as i
did several sample players myself a couple of years ago, and they were
fairly complex (start point, end point, frecuency, loop on/off, import,
export, save, amplitude, avoiding ticks on loop and some other stuff i
cannot remember anymore).

The problem is that i am unable to reuse them as they are a bit too
messy and I dont have much time to code one 'general' one myself.

but the main issue I wanted to point to, I guess, is that in my opinion
it would be good for PD to have a good, portable sample player
abstraction that people can use and reuse if they dont know (or dont
have time or cannot be bothered, etc...) to code themselves one.

Sometimes I
give introductions to PD to multimedia students, and it is
quite a difficult point when they ask for a complex sample player like
the object in MAX and I
have to answer 'you have to code it yrself from scratch or start from
qsample.pd'. Of course they mean one where they can straight away to
change frequency, invert the sound, and control all kinds of parameters.
And qsample, despite of being a nice example, it doesnt fulfill all this.

I actually found that in short intros to PD and MAX, many of them would
go for MAX because it has a 'sampleplayer' object. Then being myself
pasionated with PD, I decide to code a general one myself to give it to
them so
that they could get interested on PD and they would not be scared by all
that low level work. But not being very efficient PD programmer I never
did a clean one.

Maybe i should
give another try and do one myself but I dont have much time to do so, I
will try to find some time somewhere ... and if ever do it I will put it
available for download of course.

thanks

--
altern