[PD] Install Pd on FC4 Linux?

David Kendall dkendall at calarts.edu
Wed Jun 29 01:50:11 CEST 2005

Hello

I have recently installed Linux (Fedora Core 4) on an old Pentium machine.
I have plenty of experience running Pd and the extensions on Windows and
OS X, but I am completely new to the world of Linux.

I have downloaded Miller's source for 0.38-4, but I am unable to compile
the source. Based on my research in the PD-list archives, it seems that my
compile problems arise from not having tcl/tk installed on my linux
distribution. I don't have access to my linux box until late tonight, so I
cannot include the compile errors with this message. Sorry. Anyway, based
on some research in to the literature on FC3, it appears as if tcl/tk are
supposedly included in the standard distribution.

My question is this: has anyone encountered similar problems compiling Pd
on Fedora Core, and if so, is there some sort of option I can modify in
the OS, in the package manager perhaps, to activate or install TCL/TK?

I may ultimately turn to the Fedora forum for help installing the TCL and
TK rpms I find on the internet. But if there is some obvious solution that
I am missing, then I would very much appreciate some clarification. Thanks
in advance.

cheers,
David Kendall