[PD] uh oh... gem linux compile question

David Kendall dkendall at calarts.edu
Sat Jul 2 22:01:13 CEST 2005

Hi Iohannes

I have finally managed the time to install a few rpm packages, hoping to
make it possible for GEM to compile on my Fedora Core 4 OS. So far, I
have managed to go through my install disks to find and install these
rpms:

ImageMagick-c++-devel-6.2.2.0-2.i386.rpm
freeglut-2.2.0-16.i386.rpm
freeglut-devel-2.2.0-16.i386.rpm
freetype-2.1.9-2.i386.rpm
freetype-demos-2.1.9-2.i386.rpm
freetype-utils-2.1.9-2.i386.rpm
gltt-devel-2.5.2-2.i386.rpm

I have confirmed that libjpeg and libtiff are installed on my system, as
well. I think that this leaves only libftgl, which is a package that I
have not managed to locate, or determine if it is installed on my system
at all. Anyway, when I go to gem-0.90.0/src/Gnu and I
type ./makeauxlibs, I get a quick confirmation that my auxlibs are
built. When I type ./configure, I get the following messages, and then
the configure fails.

Judging from the messages below, would there be any way to understand
which libraries are missing that Gem might be looking for? Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated. I know that I am quickly running out of
them, myself.

Thanks in advance.

David Kendall

[root at localhost Gnu]# ./configure
HEAD: /usr/include /usr/local/include ../../../GemLibs/
LIBS: ../../../GemLibs/ /usr/local/lib /usr/local/src
Configuring for Gem.pd_linux
checking for gnu make... yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for sh... sh
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for MMX... checking MMX found...
Building Auxilliary Libraries
=============================

Finished building Auxilliary Libraries
======================================
checking for main in -lX11... yes
checking for main in -lXext... yes
checking for XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines in -lXxf86vm... yes
checking for sin in -lm... no
checking for main in -lz... no
checking for glInitNames in -lGL... no
checking for glInitNames in -lMesaGL... no
OpenGL is mandatory

--

homepage http://davidkendall.net
mp3: http://ruccas.org