[PD] PDP Webcam problem

Andrew Cavers andrew.cavers at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:43:37 CEST 2005

Ok - problem solved. Here's what I did. It should be of use to other
users of PDP with PWC-based webcams too.

1. Download the PDP 0.12.4 source from
http://zwizwa.fartit.com/pd/pdp/pdp-0.12.4.tar.gz

2. In the modules/image_io/pdp_v4l.c file, change the following:
 - Comment out (by adding // to the start of the line) lines 49-52,
188-247 and 488-489.
 - Edit lines 781 and 782 with your preferred default width and
height. I don't think you'll need to change this but I only want to
use 160x120.

3. ./configure (with any options); make; make install

My Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 works like a dream now with the most
recent reverse-engineered open source PWC driver (10.0.7a) from
http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/

It seems like the problem was that PDP was using very specific
features from the old pwc/pwcx driver that are no longer compatible
with the new reverse-engineered driver. Is Tom still updating PDP? I
think that this should be changed in the next release, or at least
commented on in the readme.

Anyway, hope this helps some people.

Andrew.

Andrew Cavers