[PD] Pure Data w/OS X Tiger and Logic (IAC midi)

Julian Peterson julianpeterson at mac.com
Thu Jul 7 13:54:01 CEST 2005

Yes, Dave, this is exactly the setup I use.

There's a few tricks to getting it all to work.  First, you have to
open Audio/MIDI setup and enable the IAC bus.  The next step is to
set up the IAC bus in logic.  This can be tricky, because if you
don't take care you'll cause an endless midi-loop which will
hopelessly crash your system.  I only use one midi controller, so the
approach I took was to use the channel splitter (in the environment
window) to accept only one input channel.  Then I created a new midi
instrument for the IAC bus that plays back on all but the one channel
I filtered from before.  This ensures that data sent on channel n to
the logic bus will not be fed directly into the iac bus.  If you have
trouble with these steps and need more elaboration, email me off-
list... we needn't bother the PD community with Logic woes.

Then set the input in PD to IAC and you're good to control pd from
logic.  Getting audio to flow from PD to logic requires either
Soundflower (www.cycling74.com) or Jack (www.jackosx.com).  I get
much, much, much, much lower latency with Jack than Soundflower, but
you have to make sure that the PD binary you have is jack-enabled.  I
use Hans' Pd-0.39test2-extended-RC0.app , which you can get from
http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html .

Once I got everything sorted out (it took a little experimenting), I
was able to set up a PD enabled Logic environment that works very
smoothly.  And I've been having a blast.

Good luck,
Julian Peterson