[PD] midiout restricted to 16 channels

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 8 09:55:20 CEST 2005

Long, Steve wrote:
> hi miller,
>
> i really appreciate you taking the time to lend me a hand.  (un)fortunately
> i already found the problem, there was a bug in the alsa midi patch.  in
> sys_putmidimess the output port was hard coded to zero, and replacing the 0
> with the appropriate port variable did the trick.  i've been holding out on
> posting an update because i also plan on fixing the sys_putmidibyte function
> in the alsa midi patch if i can.  that might take some time, as i'm new to
> the alsa api and still pretty green with linux in general, but i'm shooting
> for early july.  i'll let you know how it goes.

hi

yesterday i ran into the very same problem (that connecting 4 MIDI
devices will give me 64 midi-IN channels but only 16 midi-OUT channels)
a quick look at the code revealed, that somebody is doing
 channel &= 0xF;
which explains a lot.

before i try to start fixing this code, i wanted to ask whether you have
already done so and what the current status of this is.

i am using pd-0.38-4 with the alsamidi-patches, but the problem should
be the very same with any MIDI-OUT.

mf,asdr,
IOhannes