[PD] Re: escaping \

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Jul 8 11:41:56 CEST 2005

> Can you please provide a good reason why puredata shouldn't carry the
> features itself of 'a professional programming language'? It seems
no :-)

i'd like to see a lot of things in pd ... strings, debugging / assertion
features, a clean type system (no one-element / zero-element lists or
the nested lists), an improved file format (for automatic merging using
version control software) to make it a more professional programming
language, kernel / gui separation, threading and thread safety to make
it a professional audio / dsp software...

> somewhat hypocritical to complain about non-portability of patches and
> then follow up with a comment like this, which would require users to
> have every possible 3rd party scripting language installed if they
> want to use strings.
imo, there are two different things
- compatibility from pd to pd
- requirement of externals (i'd guess 99% of pd users are using
externals)

what i criticized of günter's implementation, was not the implementation
itself, but the way, the use of it would make patches incompatible to pd
versions ... somehow like ansi c vs c99 vs gnu89 vs gnu99 vs whatever.
since it's a language extension, we should either agree to include it in
the new revision of the language pd (like sinf is not included in ansi
c, but in c99) and make both pds (stable & dev[ei]l) compliant to the
standard of the language pd or not include it at all...
otherwise we risk that patches / code written with dev[ei]l / gcc won't
run / compile with stable / msvc.
using a scripting language wouldn't change the language pd, though ...

btw, of course, i'm critical with pd, but only because i'd like to show
the weak parts of it in order to improve it ...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs