[PD] resizing pd windows from within a patch ... and gop in general

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 8 16:46:58 CEST 2005

Hi list,

after searching the archives and having a look at the
pdmsg stuff ... i came to the conclusion that it does
not seem to be possible to send a pd window a message
that would cause it to resize itself to a certain
dimension, something like

|dimen xxx yyy(

|s pd-patchname.pd|

This would simplify the construction of abstractions
that graph on parent - we all know that they expand
themselves by 2 pixels every time they are opened. If
you do this several times, the result will inevitably
look really ugly, so it would be cool to have such a
message as a workaround.

This is an issue that pops up quite regularly, just
like the lack of strings and some other annoyances pd
is suffering from. I found the following note from
Frank in a 2003 thread that offers a viable solution
(http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2003-09/013807.html):

[quote]
We once talked about an alternative approach here:
Having a kind of
gop_canvas object, that acts like a normal canvas but
also defines the
area that should shine through a patch used as GOP.
Everything on that
gop_canvas is visible, everything outside of it is
not.

I still like that idea.
[/quote]

Hell, this shouldn't be too hard to implement. I am
also willing to offer a bounty of - let's say - a
crate of beer to the person that implements this
feature. let's get drunk at the next pd meeting!

with kind regards,
thoralf.