[PD] midiout restricted to 16 channels

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 8 19:33:18 CEST 2005

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> yesterday i ran into the very same problem (that connecting 4 MIDI
> devices will give me 64 midi-IN channels but only 16 midi-OUT channels)
> a quick look at the code revealed, that somebody is doing
>  channel &= 0xF;
> which explains a lot.

actually it explains nothing; it was just a misunderstanding of the code
on my side.

> before i try to start fixing this code, i wanted to ask whether you have
> already done so and what the current status of this is.
>
> i am using pd-0.38-4 with the alsamidi-patches, but the problem should
> be the very same with any MIDI-OUT.

to get multiple midi-outputs work with ALSA, you have to change one line
in s_midi_alsa.c in the sys_putmidimess() function:
change
  snd_seq_ev_set_source(&ev,alsa_midioutfd[0]);
  snd_seq_ev_set_source(&ev,alsa_midioutfd[portno]);

OR apply the attached patch.

note: of course this only applies if you have alsa-midi enabled (as can
be done with the patches at sf.net/projects/pure-data)

mfg.adsr
IOhannes