[PD] csoundapi~ and OSX

Julian Peterson julianpeterson at mac.com
Fri Jul 8 20:04:07 CEST 2005

Has anyone had luck getting the csoundapi~ object to run with PD on OSX?

I am able to use it as long as none of the opcode libraries are
loaded (which significantly reduces the number of opcodes I have to
work with!).  As soon as I try to load a csd file which calls one of
these opcodes, PD crashes, and even worse, my whole system freezes.

I have the opcodedir variable set correctly for using csound from the
terminal, but it seems aqua apps do not read .profile, only shells
do.  So, I've tried the following:

1) execute PD from the shell -- this doesn't seem to work since it's
built as an app?  It doesn't inherit the shell env variables
2) add opcodedir to ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist -- this sets
environment variables for aqua apps run from my own user account.
I've tested this by adding a test variable and confirming it from a
shell.  It works, so the apps should be able to access the variables,
but this still doesn't work
3) as a last long-shot resort, I added my opcodedir to my list of PD
paths.  No go.

I think the reason that it fails is that the PD process called by my
user is just a front for other processes run as root.  Since root is
not me, it probably doesn't inherit my env variables.  I assume the
root processes are MacOSX's method of enabling PD's -rt?

I can think of two undesirable solutions, neither of which I've
tried: enable the root account and run everything as root (which I
loath to do), or disable the real-time features of PD.

Has anyone found a better solution?  Sorry for the cross-post, but I
thought csound users would be more likely to have experimented with
this and PD users would be more likely to have a good solution : ).

Julian