[PD] gem installation on mac os 10.3.9

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 12 14:11:08 CEST 2005

rene beekman wrote:
> iohannes,
> thanks for the quick reply
>

> From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
>
>> i guess the first thing is that you should remove the ".pd_darwin"
>> from the -lib flag: "-lib Gem.pd_darwin" will try to load
>> "Gem.pd_darwin.pd_darwin" (on osX; on linux it would be
>> Gem.pd_darwin.pd_linux)
>

> ooops - that's not what it should do....
>
>>> i've tried double quotes, same result
>>> is there a way to make pd accept a path with a space in the name???
>>

>> this problem is rather with your operating system.
>> try to escape the space like "Application\ Support"
>

> this looks to me like max-message style escape codes instead of OS syntax
> in any case, just tried this:

well, it is normal bash-escaping.

and i have to apologize for accusing your OS instead of pd: indeed it is
a problem with pd's parsing of the .pdrc-file.

> -lib "/Library/Application\ Support/Pd/Gem"
> and it renders the error:
> "/Library/Application\\: can't load library
>
> the path in the terminal is "/Library/Application Support/Pd/" (___with "")
> cd "/Library/Application Support/Pd/" in the terminal gets me there.
> with a .pdrc that looks like this:
> -lib "/Library/Application Support/Pd/Gem"
> the error is:
> "/Library/Application: can't load library
>
> any other suggestions?

speaking of "parsing of .pdrc": does it help if you use the pd-settings
mechanism ? (although i doubt)

> i could of course always move everything into a path that doesn't have a
> space in the name, but i would prefer to have it installed in
> Application Support as that is where it belongs...

at least you could make a link, like
#> ln -s "/Library/Application\ Support" /Library/Application_Support

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes