[PD] gem installation on mac os 10.3.9

rene beekman r at raakvlak.net
Tue Jul 12 14:20:46 CEST 2005

derek,
thanks for the reply

> AFAICT, the problem actually is with your flags. The .pdrc should
> probably look like this:

that's not how i read this instruction on the gem install page:
"The Gem.pd_darwin file can be put anywhere in the filesystem if you
put the following in the .pdrc file: -lib /path/to/Gem (like
/Users/me/Library/Gem/Gem or /usr/local/lib/Gem and so on)."

but that might be just me...

> I am still not sure how the OSX shell handles these things, but one of
> these combinations will surely give you victory.

the way os x handles them is quite simple: paths with a space in them
have to be put in quotation marks - both single and double will work.
try it in the terminal;
cd '/Library/Application Support/'
is the same as
cd "/Library/Application Support/"

meanwhile, i've tried all of your suggestions
unfortunately, all variants give a "Gem: can't load library" error

also, following these instructions (again from the gem install page):
"Alternately, the Gem.pd_darwin file can be put in the extra folder
inside the Pd app bundle. Right click (or crtl+click) on the pd app and
select 'Show Package Contents', which opens a new Finder window.
Navigate to Contents/Resources/extra and copy Gem.pd_darwin there. Add
-lib Gem to the .pdrc file to load Gem."

opening package content of pd-0.38-3, in the Resources folder, there is
no folder named extra. in fact, there are only 2 icns files there,
nothing else.
creating a folder named 'extra' and copying gem.pd_darwin there +
having a single line in the .pdrc that says:
-lib Gem
also generates the "Gem: can't load library" error
as does copying the library straight into Contents/Resources/

so, in short; following either of the installation instructions of gem
step by step does not lead to a working installation
my question is; is there anyone who's running os 10.3.x with pd 0.38-3
application bundle and who's managed to get gem to work?
where did you install the library and what does your .pdrc look like?

thanks again
rene