[PD] gem installation on mac os 10.3.9

rene beekman r at raakvlak.net
Tue Jul 12 16:41:02 CEST 2005

ok, now we're getting somewhere...

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> well, it is normal bash-escaping.

got me there for not knowing my bash :)

i'll try your suggestion to create a link later
i'll let you know how that goes

B. Bogart wrote:
> I suggest you try one of the installers that include Gem to see if you
> can
> get Gem to work:
>
> at.or.at/hans "PD" "installers" as I recall

i had just found that installer this afternoon, but it didn't seem to
load gem out of the box either...
now i know why;
> Oh and for the first installers on hans's page you need to start the
> Gem
> library manually. Go to "PD" -> "Preferences" -> "startup" and type
> "Gem"
> (without quotes) in the first available slot.

doing this i can get it to load at startup next time pd runs
but why does one need to create a patch first in order to get the
preference menu????

i'll check out pixeltango installer later
(i'm afraid too many different installers might only make things worst
at first...)

as for putting gem.pd_darwin in the extra folder;
when using the separate distributions of both gem and pd, installing
into the .app bundle makes updating needlessly cumbersome - this is the
reason for the existence of the Application Support folder on os x....

unless of course one uses packaged distributions like hans's - thereby
offloading the trouble of collecting all bits and pieces to someone
else...

for now, hans' .app distribution - with the additional setting in
preferences - seems to work

thanks all!

rene