[PD] Dynamic pd objects linking

vade doktorp at mac.com
Thu Jul 14 08:07:41 CEST 2005

Ive created a patch and framework that allow one to dynamically route
pix data to various pix objects. I havent used it extensively, but it
essentially goes like:

[gemhead]

[pix_film]

[send13 movie1]

... some effect module:

[someOtherPixSource(
|  [movie 1(
|/
[recieve13]

[separator]

[pix_effect_here]

[send13 effectOut1]

  etc etc.

the send receives can be dynamically set via a pulldown menu, or
whatnot. also, be sure to quickly toggle rendering on and off to make
sure you dont get hiccups (at least with older gem versions)

You can get trickier by removing the separators if you make sure to
always reset the rendering [stop,start( to gemwin, but it requires
more logic in the patch. The above method isnt all that efficient,
but does allow for dynamic routing of effects. You could event script
it to spawn new effect modules for arbitrary length effect chains,
but there arent really enough pix_ effects to make that worthwhile I
dont think. Also, beware of colorspace issues that some of the
pix_effects have. I try to stick to YUV, since it is fastest.

peace. (send13/recieve13 use the max/MSP syntax to dynamically set
their send target and receive target..)

v a d e //

http://homepage.mac.com/doktorp/
doktorp at mac.com