[PD] pd 0.38 printing to shell

DrDOS ix at replic.net
Fri Jul 15 20:41:46 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 07:54:34PM +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> > I think a flag is a muuuuch cleaner way to do this.  What's wrong with
> > -stderr?
>
> nothing but the fact that this does not work on windows.
>
> either an application is a true windows application, then stderr will go
> into nirvana; or the application is a "DOS"-application, then it will
> have this annoying DOS-box that confuses most people.
> you cannot have an application that decides at runtime to which group it
> belongs.

i think it might be possible to have both, at least if you compile with mingw, and add the -mwindows flag during linking (and the -mms-bitfields is it, flag to gcc so that its binary compatible with MSVC) . then it will not pop up a DOS window, but if you start from cmd.exe, you will see the -stderr stuff..

> (although i am fully with you, that it would be far more elegant)

how about contextual errors (balloon popups over the spot where the error or print occured)..