[PD] pd 0.38 printing to shell

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jul 16 00:25:06 CEST 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 2:41 PM, DrDOS wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 07:54:34PM +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> I think a flag is a muuuuch cleaner way to do this.  What's wrong
>>> with
>>> -stderr?
>>
>> nothing but the fact that this does not work on windows.

Right, I was a bit too quick to speak.  But mostly I was concerned
about adding some platform-specific oddness.  A hack to get -stderr
working on Windows would be ideal.  One option might be to use the
System Event Log in windows, but it would probably be a pain to use.

>> either an application is a true windows application, then stderr will
>> go
>> into nirvana; or the application is a "DOS"-application, then it will
>> have this annoying DOS-box that confuses most people.
>> you cannot have an application that decides at runtime to which group
>> it
>> belongs.
>
> i think it might be possible to have both, at least if you compile
> with mingw, and add the -mwindows flag during linking (and the
> -mms-bitfields is it, flag to gcc so that its binary compatible with
> MSVC) . then it will not pop up a DOS window, but if you start from
> cmd.exe, you will see the -stderr stuff..

Sounds great if it works.  On that note, I've tried in the past to get
the MinGW compilation working and I didn't have much luck.  I started
documenting the process here: http://puredata.org/docs/developer/mingw
it would be awesome if you could complete it.  I'd like to be able to
compile Pd-extended builds and auto-building for Windows too and I
really don't want to have to learn MSVS.

>> (although i am fully with you, that it would be far more elegant)
>
> how about contextual errors (balloon popups over the spot where the
> error or print occured)..

That would be quite nice, but a little more difficult to code...

____

            "The arc of history bends towards justice."
                                            - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.