[PD] Re: writing to arrays with tabwrite vs. messages (was pda and tabread4~)

Guenter Geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Jul 19 18:49:27 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, David NG McCallum wrote:
> G,
>
> Don't worry about my health, I recovered. :) It just took me some time
> to remember about writing to arrays using messages.
>
> But I did wonder, what's more computationally efficient, messages or
> tabwrite?
>
> I'm starting to hit the processing limit in PDa and need to streamline
> as much as possible...

Setting of arrays via messages or tabwrite is not very fast in general.
Depending what you are doing, the fastest solution would probably be
to preload the waveshaping functions and interpolate between them.
Really depends ..

In general control rate processing in PDa is rather slow because it is not
integer optimized, so sending a lot of messages around will slow down
the machine. Then there are several places where the performance could be
improved.

Guenter