[PD] reply-to of this list

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Wed Jul 20 03:40:08 CEST 2005

hi all,

Am Mittwoch 20 Juli 2005 01:25 schrieb Josh Steiner:
> Urs Liska wrote:
> > Well, after Frank's comment I searched the archive and found this
> > article:
> >     http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> > which convinces me that the lack of the reply-to header is rather a
> > feature than a shortcoming.
>
> thats just one guys take on it, there is also :
>
> "Reply-To Munging Considered Useful"
>
> http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

hmmm .....

for one, on my email client i have three ways to reply....
just pressing "r" to reply to what is set as reply-to, or the original author.
with "a" i can reply to _all_ receipients of the message im replying to, and
finally with "l" i just reply to the list.

why _it_is_harmfull_ to rewrite that header:
what if someone set-up an auto-reply, for example, if he is in hollidays?
what if a message cant be delivered, or has some other error, so it would
_normally_ sent back? right, it would hit the list, making it public. remind
you, such replys _may_ contain sensitive information, that should not go into
the public ....

just check your email client, probably it already has the option to reply to
the list also ..... this problem isnt new, after all ...

greetings,

chris