[PD] help needed figuring out why pd on ubuntu hangs

Guenter Geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Jul 21 06:11:08 CEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Oboy... I just looked in s_inter.c and saw that, in linux, the IP address
> is hardwired to 127.0.0.1.  So -- just a guess -- maybe the C compiler
> hasn't defined __linux__ for some reason.  That would break a number of
> other things (in fact I'd be surprised Pd compiled at all in that case...)

I doubt that this is the reason as it seems to work when not connected to
the internet, right ?
And, if the host is not found pd would print something like:
"localhost not found (inet protocol not installed?)"

So, my guess is that gethostbyname on ubuntu somehow fails to set
127.0.0.1 and sets it to 0.0.0.0 as Ico observed...
would be really weird though.

What version of pd are you using ?

Strange ...

Guenter