[PD] pd using Jack DIO errors - but no xruns

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Jul 21 18:26:22 CEST 2005

Tim Blechmann wrote:

>>I'm having a bit a problem with pd. It runs fine most of the time, but
>>every once in a while there are DIO errors. Changing the "delay"
>>setting  doesn't seem to do anything. The pd CPU load is at most 5%
>>and 1.2% in jack Pressing the DIO errors button reveals "A/D/A" sync
>>and "unknown"
>>
>>The patch is only doing some logic and playing back wav files.
>>

>first of all, changing the delay, doesn't have any effect if you are
>using jack ...
>
>for the DIO errors ... pd's dsp scheduling is independent from the
>hardware, which introduces additional latency and sync problems aren't
>necessarily xrun problems ...
>for the developer branch, i changed the scheduler, so that the dsp is
>computed during the jack callback ... this reduces latency and might
>help in you case ...
>installing is easy ... get devel_0_39 from the cvs, scons and scons
>install ...
>
>i hope this helps ...

Thanks tim. ( I realize that the jack issue is separate, I just wanted
replies to focus on pd and not jack -- (so they wouldn't say: "check
jack!"))

It's kind of a pain to hear clicks. I've reduced them somewhat by
starting pd with no audio capture. Don't know why that would be since
I'm not using that facility.