[PD] reply-to of this list

Stefan Tiedje Stefan-Tiedje at addcom.de
Fri Jul 22 11:58:00 CEST 2005

Josh Steiner wrote:
> Urs Liska wrote:
>
>> Well, after Frank's comment I searched the archive and found this
>> article:
>>     http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>> which convinces me that the lack of the reply-to header is rather a
>> feature than a shortcoming.

I read that article and found only one of the arguments I could
partially agree with: Principle of least damage.

As I subscribe to several lists, and they all use a reply-to, I can say
from time to time private messages do come through, but its very little
and really never had been close to be harmful.
The reason for this is probably unproper use of filters in the e-mail
program.
If I collect my list mails into a seperate folder (I am using
Thunderbird) this could not really happen ever.
Its your own responsibility.

I want to reply always only to the list, really always!!!

For this mail I hit reply to all and it would send it to four adresses
(I have to delete the first 'to' and two 'cc's' and change one 'cc' to
'to', or hit reply and change the adress to the list adress, what a mess!!!)

> thats just one guys take on it, there is also :
>
> "Reply-To Munging Considered Useful"
>
> http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

When reading this article I would agree to most of the arguments, but my
expierience with other list show that in the article which claims
munging as harmful its actually missing another argument against
munging, I could agree to: the danger of creating loops. But those could
be dealt with on a technological basis. (On the Max-list we had somebody
going to vacation and setting up an automatic reply like "sorry I am on
vacation, I'll come back to you as soon I'm home again", which really
created a lot of useless traffic, it replied to all the messages of the
list including itself...)

>> But it really isn't intuitive at all that I have to 'reply to all' if
>> I want to respond to the list because 'the list' is one single mailing
>> address to me (pd-list at iem.at).
>>
>> However, now that I know how to deal with it, I'm OK with how it is.
>> Urs

I still do not agree, but probably have to live with it which is sort of
ok (I think its a bad compromise). If it happens you get a reply to a
list topic from me, better forward it to the list, I probably hit the
wrong key and its ment to be sent to the list.

Stefan