[PD] smoothing things ...

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Tue Jul 26 15:21:03 CEST 2005

Hi Johannes, hi list,

> i don't think that you can use soemthing like "set
> <f>" with dsp-filters.
bad news ...

> now that'll be cool: doing interpolation between
> (however yet) unknown
> values.
> i guess this would solve many many problems.
Yeah. Perfect knowledge of the future is a good thing.
Let's throw probability on the garbage dump ...
Seriously, the mail I wrote yesterday didn't make much
sense, it was a hot day here :-).
I'll try to reformulate my problem: I need a filter
that interpolates control signals in real time.
Ideally, this filter would be self-adopting in a way
that it could be fed with control data that are a)
non-predictable and b) come in in varying intervals
and that it (the filter) would still output smooth
curves. Another prerequisite is that the filter is
able to recognise parameter jumps that exceed a
certain threshold and doesn't interpolate these jumps.
I realise that this is probably impossible to
accomplish.

> a simple non-linear (IIR) low-pass filter is
> x[n]=a*x[n-1]+(1-a)*y[n]
> (with 0<=a<=1)
So this would basically be lop~ , but not in the
frequency domain? I'm a bit confused about the y[n],
shouldn't that be x[n] as well?
Sorry, I'm totally new to this ...

thank you,
thoralf (quite confused).