[PD] pd cheatsheet

David Powers cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Tue Jul 26 16:26:21 CEST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for your help.  I will try some of the suggestions you gave.  The
bottom line is, maybe the build I'm using is too old, but I just don't
want to lose access to all the externals and I had great problems
installing them individually before - until I realized the MIDI IN
wouldn't work, this distribution was working the best for me.  Maybe I
just don't like starting from the command line...

I will say, despite my current frustration, I do think that PD, for now,
is great as a learning tool.  I never understood Reaktor in the past,
but knowing some PD has allowed me to program incredibly fast in
Reaktor! I will keep going with PD as it does certain things that
Reaktor does not, and if I understood OSC, I might even be able to get
the two programs to play together...  I want to program Python modules
for Reaktor as well (okay, I lied, I know a little programming, but not
enough to understand what people are talking about on the list most of
the time).

I just sometimes would like the open source community to remember that
if something is going to "catch on" with the general public, it needs to
have certain basic "out of the box" functionality.  A little more work
on GUI and provision of a library of oscillators, samplers, and grain-synthesis
externals, WITH FULL DOCUMENTATION, would go a huge way towards making
PD competitive with the commercial software packages.
And, of course, a complete Windoze binary distribution which includes
the important external libraries, and works (okay I know some of you hate
it but it works)!

However I will still find uses for PD in the meantime, it is much better
for testing a concept with dataflow or data manupulation than Reaktor,
even if Reaktor has more tools right now to create a finished "performance".

~David