[PD] pd drum machines

David Powers cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Mon Aug 1 18:56:48 CEST 2005

Okay, I'm sorry but this bothers me - telling people "build it yourself"
instead of providing some concrete information for someone who is
probably new at PD.  We are all here because we want to learn to build
things ourselves, but some of us need a little more help along the way.

Furthermore, a functional drum machine is not as simple as you imply,
you need the modulus+counter, some way to code rhythmic patterns (grid?
0's and 1's? What if you want to switch between different time units?),
you need to get all the sampler parts worked out, you need envelopes
(notice in Frank's example tutorial he used an external that a newbie
would not be familiar with to get more precise attack and decay times),
and need a mixer section.  Each of these can be tricky for a beginner.
At the least it would be nice to include some kind of examples of your
patches, if this is easy and something you've already built (as you seem
to imply).  Yes, it might not be hard to get a little "tweek tweek
tweek" in quarter notes, but that's not the same as a usable performance
tool.  And for PD to be more than a teaching tool, it needs to result in
performance tools that people can use.

If I have time in the future to work on PD, I'll try and work on such
things (actual working abstractions and apps).  I'd most like to see a
granular drum machine, personally, possibly with options to do aleatoric
tweaks.  I'd also really like to see something that captures buffer
stuff and can spit out random rhythmic permutations and subdivisions in
time with the beat.  I don't have enough knowledge to build these things
currently but maybe someday...

~David