[PD] tx816/dx7 emulation in PD

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Wed Aug 10 12:42:35 CEST 2005

Jamie Bullock schrieb:
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to implement Yamaha tx816 emulation in PD, along the lines
> of the way in which multiple instances of fm7 can be used in Max/MSP.
> The criteria I would like to meet are:
>
> 1/ The sound and behaviour of the synthesis must perceptually very close
> to the original sounds, excluding _overall_ timbral nuances such as
> 'warmth', 'thinness' etc.

Please keep in mind while emulating the sound of DX7 you also have to
recreate the behaviour of the D/A converters which had a huge impact on
the sound. For instance the DX7II sounded different than its precursor.
I don't know about the legasynth nor about Franks approach but it takes
more than just recreate the FM structure and sysex compatibility. Its
the same with other simulations, you can't stick a sawtooth generator to
a filter in PD and claim it to be a faithful analogue simulation, lot of
subtle details are missing.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

new releseas:
Elektronengehirn: new composition on
http://www.bremsstrahlung-recordings.org/transradiation/trans002.php

Konform: new song on Acido03 12" compilation

more at blog 4, also available as rss feed:
http://java.block4.com/blog4/