[PD] 24 bit causing distortion

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Tue Aug 16 19:59:01 CEST 2005

Well, I didn't try your patch (not sure but it looked like I'd have to sample
something and I didn't have audio)  but I did try writing a 3-byte, 1-channel
wave file to disk using writesf~ and looked at it in peak (no audacity on the
Mac I squat on) and it looked OK.  Values above 1 or below -1 clip, as usual
(some people have suggested that 24-bit files should be normalized to 16
instead of one, i.e., 4 bits of "headroom", but Pd and peak seem to agree that
[-1,1] is the nominal range).

So unless it's an overflow at the input of writesf~ I'm stumped.

cheers
Miller