[PD] Piksel'05

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Aug 16 20:20:23 CEST 2005

Hey Marc,

pixelTANGO is actually not (at all) optimized for OSX, but it does so
happen that the starting design principal (high-quality video mixing) is
much more optimized in Gem on OSX. Why? DV decoding libs, and the magic
catch-all quicktime.

PixelTANGO is actually not at all optimized, but is really a set of
interfaces. Its first task was video performance and so the OSX was
chosen, it was developed on OSX simply because my linux machine was far
to slow to be of any use working with DV files (Duron 800).

But this is a digression.

The bottom line is that everything in pixelTANGO is free and
multi-platform BUT those non-free components that get linked with Gem on
OSX make it perform much better for certain operations. We just need
ffmpeg (or something) function as well as quicktime and decoders that
are very fast and optimized...

Say anyone know of anyone using the GPU to do some decoding work with
pixelShaders?

Free software on any OS can't help but promote free software.

B.

PS: Showing the weaknesses of one OS in one respect is not the same as
promoting the alternative OSs.