[PD] hardware recommendation

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Wed Aug 17 14:18:09 CEST 2005

hello,

Georg Holzmann a écrit :
> Hallo list!
>
> I have to use 4 800x600 projectors with 4 channel sound for an
> installation, so I wanted to ask if someone can share some experiences
> which hardware we should buy ...
>
> the organizers suggested the following:
> athlon64, 1.8ghz
> 1gb ram
> 2x matrox g200 dualhead pci.
> (1 or 2 computers)
>
> 1) Should I really try to use the 64 bit processors :) (on linux of
> course) ?
>
> 2) I think I will use GEM (it's not much to do - I have to display some
> images and text ...), so I am just thinking about, how to use 4 projectors:
> - I could use 2 computer with a dualhead graphic card, then make a big
> GEM window over all 2 heads
I tryed this and it works great.
(display the same scene on both computer, and using the perspec message
to gemwin to change to viewing properties)
> - 1 computer with 2 dualhead graphic cards and make a big GEM window
> over all 4 heads ?
I don't think you'll be able to have DRI on a window crossing 2 craphic
card.
> - or maybe start 2 PDs on one computer to have 2 gemwins (trying to
> avoid the experimtental multiple gemwin feature ...)
if you can se up dri on 4 screen, then it's the same solution as 1.

cyrille