[PD] Piksel'05

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Aug 17 15:01:36 CEST 2005

I hope in the future the biggest change to car culture will be the FLOSS
car. You want gas and can afford it, then contribute it to the design,
fuel-cell, solar, hybrid, you name it.. Tweak the pickup with your
opensource PDA connected to the car's ethernet (or wireless)

I have a high heart for such things...

I think the biggest issue with free HW is that trickle down effect, Its
cheap to build A because its made out of cheap mass produced part B,
which is made out of part C. How come part C is so cheap? Because some
R&D company spend $1,000,000 developing the production process for it.
To recoup they better make a 1,000,000 units to make $10,000,000 to make
the investors happy they contributed $1000 each.

geurilla investing?

Once the production process (the machine to built the other machine) can
be built cheap by anyone at home, then we're talking!

Homemade IC fabricator? :)

I think the (global) culture is getting pretty tired of companies
telling them what they can do, and so there are a lot of hackers out
there, whether they write software, tweak their honda civic fuel
injection by buying a hacked chip, hack their ipod to be a personal
recorder. Despite the GPL legealease, hacking does require
responsibility, even when there is no "warranty".

-b-