[PD] Piksel'05

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Aug 17 15:18:56 CEST 2005

Hey Marc,

you know better than this! I see no different between cutting a trace
and soldering in a new wire (HW hacking) compared to changing a few
lines of code...

Ideas ARE a lot easier to share, but then instructions for hacking
commercial HW becomes the material...

IC's are pretty hard to hack...

HW companies think there software "reveals" certain secrets of their HW
they don't want the comptetitors to know about. I imagine they could try
harder to hide the secrets and create some 3rd party interface. Actually
with the nv driver there open-src parts allow anyone to change the
parameters of the driver using a documented protocol.. pretty neat... I
still don't know what nvidia is trying to hide...

B.