[PD] hardware recommendation

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Aug 17 17:40:21 CEST 2005

Quoting Georg Holzmann <grhPD at gmx.at>:

> Question regarding the grafic card:
> of course ati radeon and nvidia seem to be the best solution - but expensive
> has anyone experience with e.g. Matrox G450 Dualhead (they seem to have
> good linux support) - dri on both screens ?

Any 100 Euro Nvidia card will be  more than adequate for what you want to do.  I
suspect the Matrox will be entirely inappropriate for GEM.

> 1 vs. 2 computer:
> so I think it won't be possible with 1 computer and 4 screens ?

You would have to either do Nvidia's SLI, which is very expensive, or resort to
PCI cards which are much slower for texturing.  2 Computers each with a dual
head AGP card is probably the way to go.  I have done lots of sync between
multiple machines using OSC and it works pretty well.  I can usually have
multiple machines play the same movie and each display part of the frame or
move the image between the three with very good sync.