[PD] hardware recommendation

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 17 18:36:57 CEST 2005

Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>

> thanks - the problem is only, that I think this card will be a little
> bit too expensiv (would need 2 of them ...)

almost all (? probably all) "modern" nvidia cards (>= fx) will have 2
VGA-outputs, and they cost very little. (~70€, guess you can get one for
50 too)

 > cyrille henry schrieb:
>> I don't think you'll be able to have DRI on a window crossing 2
>> craphic card.
>
> :(
>
> tati schrieb:
>> if you use them with xinerama you can't have dri, but at least with
>
> do you mean it's even not possible on "only" 2 screens ?

just use nvidia's "TwinView" to drive a xinerama-like dual-head screen
with hw-acceleration on both.

> Question regarding the grafic card:
> of course ati radeon and nvidia seem to be the best solution - but
> expensive
> has anyone experience with e.g. Matrox G450 Dualhead (they seem to have
> good linux support) - dri on both screens ?

even if matrox has "dri" support, this is (to my experience) nothing you
can compare with nvidia's (and probably radeon's) acceleration.

with _wild_ numbers i'd say:
software-GL: 1x
matrox-DRI : 3x
nvidia-GL  : 50x (well, probably 10x or 20x)

> 1 vs. 2 computer:
> so I think it won't be possible with 1 computer and 4 screens ?

well, there are mainboards with 2 AGP-slots (are there ?)
or you can use 1 AGP and 1 PCI card (like chris has mentioned, PCI is
not that fast with texture uploading)
i think you would have to use 2 X-servers on your machine and then run 2
instances of pd/gem

mfg.adr.
IOhannes