[PD] Piksel'05

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Wed Aug 17 21:26:08 CEST 2005

Christian Klippel a écrit :
> hello,
>
> Am Mittwoch 17 August 2005 19:42 schrieb cyrille henry:
>
>>Christian Klippel a écrit :
>>
>>>hi,

>>>[...snip...]

>>>objection!
>>>
>>>i wouldnt say that hardware cant be modified.
>>
>>this is because you have never see free hardware.
>

> woot? not only i have seen it, i actually do it: http://multio.mamalala.de to
> give only one example ..... be carefull what you wish for .... ;-)

sorry.i made a mistake here.
so, i don't undestand you : why do you say hardware can't be modified,
as that what you're doing?

>>once you have the shematic of your hardware, it's easier (at least for
>>me) to understand how does it work than to undestand how does a software
>>work.
>>
>>the good point of a hardware is that you can print the all shematic on a
>>big piece of paper. you can't wih software (how many page do you nead to
>>print pd code?).
>>you can have everything in front of you with hardware developement. not
>>with software.
>>

> if you know all used electronic parts inside-out, then yes. otherwise you also
> have to read datasheets, manuals, etc. taking the iobox as example, the
> datasheets of all used parts will give a higher pile of paper than the
> printout of pd's sources

adding compiler documentation will add more paper if you really whish to
make a competition ;-)
(well this is stupid as i don't think it's really important to discuss
if hardware or software is easier).

[...]

> i can take a bunch of ttl ic's, memory, microcontroller. all that is needed to
> make it work is to know whats an input and whats an output, and connect
> these. with analogue circuitry you _have_ to do calculations to make it work.

to make TTL work as you wish, you also have to think.
i don't see diference here.

> for example, a transistor alone isnt of much use, you need at least resistors
> also to make it work in a meaningfull way. and those values have to be
> calculated. in digital world, i only need wires to connect the pins of the
> chips.
you don't plug wire randomly, as you don't put random resistor when you
use transistor.

>i dont have to care about bias points, positive/negative swings, etc.
> as i would need when building an amplifier stage.

yes, ok.

maybee i do not express myself clearly. the only thing i wanted to say
in this discution is that using linux is not enough to be free.
maybee it's harder to make hardware thant software (i don't change my
mind anyway), but this is not really important.

>>>in fact, one could look at it (the digital part) as "pd with real
>>>objects".
>>
>>pd with real objects is more analog electronic than digital electronic.
>>pd with real objects is modular analog synth made 20 or 30 years ago.
>

> agreed. but i was more refering to the simplicity of connecting black-boxes
> (in this case chips vs. pd objects) instead of caring about the inertia of
> them. to build a analogue synth module, even a simple oscillator, you need
> more knowledge than you need to build a running light with one digital chip
> (cd4017).
at least you nead to know that you nead a cd4017...
you have to learn thing befor doing digital electronics

>>there is a lot of projets to build free pd with real objects.
>>(I personally have build few of them, for the one interested with free
>>music.)
>>

> do you have any pointers? im interrested in such stuff generally ....
> soon i will put mine online, just need to "polish" them so they can be put
> online ....

i don't have bookmark anymore about this, (as i was working on this many
years ago) but i've got a lots of shematics that i'll send you off list.

cyrille