[PD] Piksel'05

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 17 22:23:16 CEST 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, B. Bogart wrote:
> Too bad my AMD64 & Duron machines are.... Desktops!!!! (not little ones
> at that). I can't transport such large heavy things all the way from
> Canada. If I had a linux laptop I would bring that. I don't own such a
> thing.

Then do what they do in Catalonia:

  http://artengine.ca/matju/guckes/2004-09-28/dscn7846.jpg

But I was told by one of the guys that they had a few problems with trying
to convince authorities that this is just a puter and not a bomb.

That's especially neat because it's essentially a desktop computer so it
has a few things one may miss with a laptop. Sure, on a regular laptop,
one can use an external mouse, keyboard, monitor -- and even the IDE
drives if you buy an adaptor at 35,- Euro ! But what one might miss the
most is the PCI ports.

It's a bit sad that laptop manufacturers really want us to buy
laptop-specific hardware at a premium price, else it would cost only a few
Euros to take a laptop's internal PCI bus and extend it outside the
laptop. I have a few BT878 cards that currently I can't use.