[PD] Piksel'05

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Thu Aug 18 17:20:56 CEST 2005

Le 17 Août 2005 13:42, cyrille henry a écrit :
> (as this discution is highly OT, i just got further :
> how many people in this list have listen to ANALOG FM synthesis. i never
>   succed doing so great sound with pd or any other digital stuff.)

I did, a while ago, using a sine carrier and modulator on a analog synth.
It's was funny but rather limited, because analog oscillators are not
stable enough, and because FM requires a lot of oscillators to sound rich
enough; that's a reason why this technique evolved in the digital domain.
I would love to hear good music using analog FM, do you have an example?

I heard Riverrun from Barry Truax around 1988, and I still like this early
combination of (digital) FM synth with granular synthesis:
http://www.sfu.ca/~truax/gran.html
--
Marc