[PD] Re: [PD-announce] Pd 0.39 test 5 released

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Aug 21 21:30:39 CEST 2005

sven wrote:
> At 20:13 21.08.2005, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> sven wrote:
>> >
>> > and if it's not too hard please add the possibility to query
>> > soundcard in/out latency pleeeeeaase!
>> >

>> i cannot see, how this should work in the real world.
>>
>> the latency of your soundcard is (as the term already indicates) heavily
>> depending on your soundcard, which might not have a hook at all to query
>> its latency.
>

> i know that the latency of my soundcard depends on my soundcard.
> thanks for that hint anyway.

> as tim already mentioned most soundapis provide that feature.
> and it's a quite important feature if you want to sync audio and video
> _tightly_.

allright, i should go back reading docs...
sorry for being grumpy.

however, i still wouldn't trust what i haven't measured myself.
i have seen a lot of numbers in the web, that i totally disbelieve and
which i think are just numbers that were acquired via some APIs (or more
precisely: via some GUI that claimed that the "latency is now 0.1ms")
and which where never verified via measurements.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes