[PD] Re: [PD-announce] Pd 0.39 test 5 released

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Mon Aug 22 10:29:18 CEST 2005

> > all apis i'm familiar with (asio, jack, portaudio) provide api
> > functions that can query the driver to get the input and the output
> > latency ...
>
> Wow, that's great. But it seem to easy to be true :-) Do they really
> provide the delay between start of playing a buffer and start of
> appearing the analog signal at the output?
in theory .... yes ... they also provde the delay between the time, a
signal appears on the input and the time it's sent to the software ...

> I use Hammerfall/Digiface with some attached D/A-Cs. Do the driver
> know  what's the latencies of D/A-C, especially if connected to a
> digital  sound card output, like mine? Or do the API just deliver the
> value what  can be set in settings of the Hammerfall "Buffer Size
> (Latency)", which,  unfortunately, is not the latency between the
> software layer and analog  output.
i doubt that the hdsp would know about the attached hardware and their
latencies ... but it should be possible to query the driver for the
specific digital ports and read the specs of the dacs you're using for
the additional latency ...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs