[PD] denormals on intel celeron

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 24 01:03:51 CEST 2005

moin folks,

sorry to butt in, but as my current laptop is dying a slow and painful
death (by eating its own RAM), I'm likely soon to be faced once again
with one of the eternal questions: AMD or Intel?

I know I've had this conversation with Tim, but the last time I looked
(homebrewed Knoppix derivate with a test patch using [plugin~ flanger]
(Steve Harris's LADSPA flanger)), AMD's hardware hack simply blew every
Intel processor out of the water when denormals cropped up -- can I
assume that with a bit of work tweaking compilation flags, I can get
similar performance out of an Intel processor these days?

marmosets,
	Bryan

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>well, fwiw, adding the sse flags, an -o3 and removing -g gave me about
>>a 33% inprovement in cpu usage.  and denormals *seem* to be gone, but
>>this was a brief test.  will test more and let you know.  thanks for
>>the help!
>
> well, this is no big surprise ... the sse unit is _far_ better handling
> denormals than the fpu is ... even without hardware DAZ

Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology