[PD] teabox...any users drivers

Stefan Tiedje Stefan-Tiedje at addcom.de
Thu Aug 25 15:47:43 CEST 2005

(I forwarded the reply of Christian to the list, I hope it got through...)

Christian Klippel schrieb:
> of course, with multi-channel spdif-input cards thats no problem, but this is
> not the usual case.....

The teabox clearly is aimed at that (for me) usual case. Anybody who
can't afford an external multichannel audio interface would never
consider something like the teabox.

> you mean a analogue/spdif audio box which then connects via firewire to the
> host?

I love the Quatafire which contains all I need.

> oh, and what about system load? doesnt handling that kind of control-input via
> an audio stream have quite a lot of overhead? i mean, does it make sense to
> constantly send a stream of data, even if there are no changes on the
> controllers?

If there are no changes, Midi is much easier. But if you plan to use
sensors, with 12-bit or more of resolution, it's likely you get noise,
which produces constant changes. Then Midi won't work anymore.

> not that i want to make it bad, but i think that there are certain constraints
> for using that device.

I just wanted to point out that there are good reasons for using such a
device as opposed to "what sense does it make to use such a device..."

cheers

Stefan

P.S. I hope next time I remember to hit reply all and then delete the
reply to the original author of the post. I still think its a bad
attitude for a list not to use the reply-to header change. It creates
noise. (There was a thread recently which explains all the points and my
conclusion is clearly: better change it)