[PD] os x.4

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Fri Aug 26 17:34:06 CEST 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 8:12 AM, dafydd hughes wrote:

> 1. Anybody running Pd and 10.4 on a G4 Powerbook 867 with 640 MB
> RAM?  Is 10.4 perhaps written for faster computers, meaning I
> should go back to 10.3?

I would stick with 10.3 if it was working fine.  There aren't a lot
of new audio features in 10.4 that Pd uses and the graphics and video
ones like CoreImage/GLSL you can't use fully on that hardware.

The integrated dictionary is my favorite 10.4 feature so far, which
is pretty faint praise.

> 2. Are there any background processes I should shut down in order
> to get better audio performance?

Spotlight.  There's a system preference panel for excluding volumes.
Put all of the drives you have in the list.  This will disable
searching in the Finder though, so either use locate or a 3rd party
tool.  Spotlight is one of the dumbest search implementations ever
developed.  It constantly runs checking and indexing new files and
volumes just in case a user happens to search for something on
those.  It takes many hours to index a modern hard drive during which
Spotlight monopolizes disk I/O making the computer slow to a crawl.

Dashboard eats a fair amount of RAM, plus it has serious security
issues.  Drag it out of the Dock and 'poof' it's gone.

Google for ways to permanently disable these if they are of no use to
you.

> 3. Maybe this one's for a Mac list, but... My initial attempt at
> upgrading failed part way through due to unspecified errors.  A
> second attempt went fine, even though it looks like 10.4 was half
> installed (Dashboard was showing etc).  Is a clean install in order?

I usually put new OS upgrades on an external Firewire drive for
testing first.

cgc